The Wisconsin Department of Justice released its initial account describing the events before and after officers shot Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, last Sunday evening.
The state of play: The release says officers were sent to a residence after a woman claimed her boyfriend was on the property and was not supposed to be. Officers tried to arrest Blake, initially using a taser they say did not work.
- Blake walked to his car and Kenosha Police Officer Rusten Sheskey fired his weapon seven times into Blake's back.
- No other officer was reported to fire a weapon.
- The Kenosha Police Department does not have body cameras available for its officers.
- Blake told officers he had a knife in his possession during the investigation after the incident, and officials did not find any other weapons in his car.
- Authorities added that two people died after gunfire erupted during demonstrations in the area o Tuesday night.