Alix Klineman and April Ross are guaranteed to earn at least an Olympic silver medal after defeating Germany 2-0 in the Tokyo Games on Thursday morning local time.
Of note: It's the latest chapter in an enduring partnership, driven by past failures and bound by future aspirations.
The big picture: When Klineman switched from indoor to beach volleyball in 2017, Ross had already won two Olympic medals on the sand. In 2018, the players teamed up, and they've been on a success streak ever since.
- After being left off Olympic rosters for indoor volleyball year after year, Klineman's tenacity matched with her partner's prowess led to the realization of her Olympic dreams.
- Ross, who has a silver and bronze medal, hopes Klineman will help her realize her own Olympic dream of winning the gold. Now. they're only one step away from realizing that dream.
- Prelim - Pool B
- Klineman and Ross beat China, 2-0, in their first match.
- Klineman and Ross defeated Spain, 2-0, in their second matchup.
- Klineman and Ross won their match against the Netherlands, 2-1.
- Klineman and Ross beat Cuba, 2-0, in the Round of 16 match.
- Klineman and Ross beat Germany, 2-0,in the Quarterfinals
- Semifinals - Klineman and Ross beat Switzerland, 2-0, in the semifinals. They are now guaranteed at least a silver.
When to watch:
- Medal matches
- Gold - Aug. 5 at 10:30 p.m. ET
- Klineman and Ross will play either Australia or Latvia
What they're saying:
- "I am just so thankful I chose [Klineman] as a partner when she was brand new," Ross told Fansided. "She was searching for a partner and now I feel like she's one of the best players in the world."
- "You know I love competing and I'm very determined and I feel like ultimately my will was stronger than anything else, so that's why I feel like I'm here," Klineman recently said, per E! News.
2012 London Games
- 🥈- Ross took home silver with Jennifer Kessy
2016 Rio Games
- 🥉- Ross won bronze with Kerri Walsh Jennings