House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy has hired former President Trump’s White House political director, Brian Jack, to lead his own political operation, Axios has learned.
Why it matters: The move to bring on Jack underscores McCarthy's strategy of keeping Trump and his orbit close as Republicans seek to retake the House majority in 2022 — and McCarthy achieves his personal goal of becoming speaker.
The backdrop: Jack is one of a small group that worked for Trump through his entire journey — from the golden escalator ride before declaring his candidacy to his final flight on Air Force One.
- McCarthy (R-Calif.) met Jack through Trump and sees him as an asset for fundraising and recruitment, as well as strategy.
- Jack remains connected to Trump, who viewed him as his go-to guy for congressional elections during the last cycle.
- Jack previously held top roles at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and the Republican National Committee and has worked with several GOP campaigns.
What we're hearing: Talks about a potential job in McCarthy's office began in December, while Trump was still in office.
- Jack formally started this month.
- He was initially considered as a candidate to lead the National Republican Campaign Committee but ultimately opted to work directly for McCarthy.
- Jack will work closely with NRCC staff, as has been the case with aides to past House Republican leaders.
Keep reading...Show less