The search for survivors among the rubble of a Surfside, Florida, condo entered a sixth day Tuesday, with the 11 bodies recovered from the partial collapse of the 12-story building and 150 people still unaccounted for.
The latest: Rescue specialists from Israel and MexicoRescue joined American crews in the search for life using "cranes, dogs and infrared scanners, but hope was beginning to diminish Reuters notes.
The big picture: Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine-Cava cautioned Monday evening that statistics on the number of people unaccounted for were "very fluid," the New York Times reports. She emphasized earlier that rescue and recovery operations remain "the top concern," per the Miami Herald.
- As search-and-rescue efforts continue, Miami-Dade assistant fire chief Ray Jadallah said "it's going to take time, it's not going to happen overnight."
- Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett pledged Monday to find out whether a city official "misled residents" over a 2018 engineering report that cautioned building managers of "major structural damage" to the concrete condominium, per ABC News.
State of play: The City of Miami Beach on Sunday declared a state of emergency, noting: "A significant portion of the staging for the emergency response efforts is taking place within Miami Beach."
- Champlain Towers North, the sister condo, wasn't being evacuated after building inspectors agreed it was structurally sound, a member of the Condo board told the New York Times on Sunday.
- White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday that President Biden would support mobilizing federal agencies including the FBI to investigate the disaster.
- FEMA administrator Deanne Criswell said Sunday that representatives from the Army Corps of Engineers have were providing technical assistance.
Editor's note: This article has been updated with new details throughout.