Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Fox News' Laura Ingraham on Monday that the Trump administration is "looking at" a ban on Chinese social media app TikTok.
Why it matters: Lawmakers have long expressed fears that the Chinese government could use TikTok to harvest reams of data from Americans — and actions against the app have recently accelerated worldwide, highlighted by India's ban.
- TikTok said it will pull out of Hong Kong in response to a restrictive new national security law that went into effect last week.
- The moves come amid increasing military tensions between China and the U.S. in the South China Sea in recent weeks.
What he's saying:
The other side: "TikTok is led by an American CEO, with hundreds of employees and key leaders across safety, security, product, and public policy here in the U.S. We have no higher priority than promoting a safe and secure app experience for our users," a TikTok spokesperson said in response to Pompeo's comments, per CNBC.
- "We have never provided user data to the Chinese government, nor would we do so if asked."