28 June 2021
Ethiopia's government declared an immediate, unilateral ceasefire in its Tigray region on Monday after nearly eight months of deadly violence, AP reports.
Why it matters: The crisis in Tigray has killed thousands of civilians and displaced 1.7 million people, per the New York Times. Over 900,000 people are facing the world's worst famine in a decade. Government forces have also been accused of ethnic cleansing and sexual violence.
- Tigray's interim administration, which was appointed by the federal government, urged for a ceasefire on humanitarian grounds after fleeing the regional capital, Mekele.
- "The government has the responsibility to find a political solution to the problem," said Abraham Belay, the head of Tigray's interim administration. He added that some of Tigray’s former ruling party members are willing to engage with federal officials.
What they're saying: The ceasefire "will enable farmers to till their land, aid groups to operate without any military movement around and engage with remnants (of Tigray’s former ruling party) who seek peace," the government's statement said, per AP.
- The ceasefire will last until September, when a crucial planting season in Tigray comes to an end. The government's efforts to pursue Tigray's former leaders will continue, the statement noted.
- Tigray fighters did not immediately comment, per AP. Mekele residents cheered as Tigray forces arrived in the regional capital late Monday, according to AP.
Catch up quick: Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed launched an offensive in Tigray in November, intent on "breaking the power" of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), a political group that has dominated Ethiopia for almost 30 years, the Times writes.
- Abiy and other ministers have said they were "going to wipe out the Tigrayans for 100 years," a European Union special envoy said after closed-doors meetings in February.
- Ethiopia's military took responsibility for a deadly airstrike on a marketplace in the Tigray region last week that killed at least 64 people, including children.
The big picture: Ethiopia recently held long-delayed elections. Millions were prevented from voting due to security or logistical concerns while others boycotted the vote, citing the repression of opposition parties.
Transcripts show George Floyd told police "I can't breathe" over 20 times
Section2Newly released transcripts of bodycam footage from the Minneapolis Police Department show that George Floyd told officers he could not breathe more than 20 times in the moments leading up to his death.
Why it matters: Floyd's killing sparked a national wave of Black Lives Matter protests and an ongoing reckoning over systemic racism in the United States. The transcripts "offer one the most thorough and dramatic accounts" before Floyd's death, The New York Times writes.
The state of play: The transcripts were released as former officer Thomas Lane seeks to have the charges that he aided in Floyd's death thrown out in court, per the Times. He is one of four officers who have been charged.
- The filings also include a 60-page transcript of an interview with Lane. He said he "felt maybe that something was going on" when asked if he believed that Floyd was having a medical emergency at the time.
What the transcripts say:
- Floyd told the officers he was claustrophobic as they tried to get him into the squad car.
- The transcripts also show Floyd saying, "Momma, I love you. Tell my kids I love them. I'm dead."
- Former officer Derek Chauvin, who had his knee on Floyd's neck for over eight minutes, told Floyd, "Then stop talking, stop yelling, it takes a heck of a lot of oxygen to talk."
Read the transcripts via DocumentCloud.
